This will be an evening trip for woodcock courtship flight. If you’ve never seen this spectacle, prepare to be amazed: birds call noisily (peenting) from the ground in grassy fields before spiraling rapidly up high, making twittering, kissing-like sounds at the apex of their ascent and descending silently back down, only to start the cycle anew. An amazing sight! Fields may be wet and muddy. Boots are strongly recommended. Bring a flashlight or headlamp.
Meet at 7:00 p.m. in the parking lot across from Owl Woods. Take the Manitou Beach Road exit from Ontario State Parkway. Turn north then right into the large parking lot.
Leader: Neal Reilly 518-256-9147 and co-leader Robert Buckert 585-269-4206
2023 RBA Guidelines for Field Trips
RBA field trips will abide by CDC (or NYS) health guidelines that might be in effect at the time of the field trip. By registering for a field trip you are agreeing that you will also abide by those guidelines. CDC recommendations related to COVID-19 can be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/isolation.html. NYS recommendations related to COVID-19 can be found here: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/isolation
- Scope use/sharing is allowed.
- You are encouraged to keep hand sanitizer with you.
- The RBA will continue with advance registration through Eventbrite for all field trips.
- Registration opens at 7:30 p.m. seven days before the trip date.
- Registration closes at 1:00 p.m. the day before the trip.
- Capacity limits have been greatly expanded but will be determined on a trip-by-trip basis with input from leaders (or if there are NYS mandates).
- If you are not able to attend, we encourage you to cancel your reservation before 1:00 p.m. the day before the trip to make room for others.
Canceling is done through your Eventbrite confirmation email.
Waive and Release from Liability: By registering for this field trip you acknowledge that you assume all risks and hazards incidental to the activities of the event, including potential exposure to the novel coronavirus. You further release, absolve, hold harmless, defend and indemnify the Rochester Birding Association, Inc. and all individually named organizers, leaders, and participants of the event. In case of injury, you hereby waive all claims against all organizers, leaders, and participants.
Photo/Video Waiver: If you do not consent to have your image used by the RBA in the manner next described, please check the appropriate box on the registration form. Otherwise, by registering for this field trip you hereby grant permission to the Rochester Birding Association to take and publish photos or videos of you in connection with the event listed above, with or without your name and for any lawful purpose including for example such purposes as publicity, illustration, advertising, and web content.