The RBA is committed to following NYS guidelines and directives regarding social distancing and the COVID-19 pandemic.
Currently, all field trips, meetings, and birds-and-brews through the end of April are cancelled, and we anticipate canceling events in May and June as well. As the situation is dynamic, we will continue to monitor conditions and make changes to our schedule as needed. Should the situation improve and Governor Cuomo lift restrictions on gathering sizes, we may reinstate currently cancelled trips. Visiting the event posting on our website is the surest way to tell if an event has been cancelled.
While we are not currently able to bird together during this difficult time, we encourage everyone to keep birding on their own. To keep yourself and others safe, we remind you to follow best practices for social distancing:
- Staying close to home minimizes your exposure, as long drives require more stops at gas stations and communal restrooms.
- Bird alone or with others from your household; do not go birding with friends.
- Avoid birding in highly trafficked areas. Instead of crowding into the Owl Woods or piling on the Hawkwatch Platform, find somewhere less populated. Visit https://rochesterbird.wpengine.com/birding-hotspots-map/
to find other spots to bird
- Avoid touching shared surfaces like railings and benches.
- Stay six feet away from others, even outdoors.
- Do not share scopes, binoculars, or field guides.
- Carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer or some alcohol wipes with you.
Enjoy the fresh air and migrating birds as spring unfolds. The sooner we all do our part to not spread the virus, the sooner we can all enjoy being together again.
Stay well and safe,
***CANCELLED***This will be an evening trip for woodcock courtship flight. If you’ve never seen this spectacle, prepare to be amazed: birds call noisily from the ground in grassy fields before spiraling rapidly up high, descending back down in a zigzagging noisy frenzy, only to start the cycle anew. An amazing sight!
Following the Woodcock display, owl banding is a possibility at the banding station.
We will meet at 7:00 p.m. in the parking lot of Braddock Bay Bird Observatory, 10 Braddocks Avenue, Hilton, NY 14468. Take the Manitou Beach Road exit from Ontario State Parkway. Turn north and follow Manitou Beach Road until it forks. Take the left fork to the small dirt road (there is a sign for BBBO). The parking lot is at the end of the dirt road.
Fields may be wet and muddy in spots. Boots are STRONGLY recommended. Bring a flashlight or headlamp.