Batavia Wastewater Treatment Plant Field Trip – Registration Opens October 9, 2021
October 16 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Why a wastewater treatment plant? Open water and a great location mean that this spot appears regularly on fall birding lists. We will drive on the banks of the ponds, getting out wherever the birds are congregating. Discover the great opportunity this spot (and its helpful staff) offers.
Restrooms might be available at the plant offices.
Meet at 9:00 a.m. at the wastewater treatment plant at the end of Industrial Blvd., which is off Pearl Street (Route 33) at the western edge of the city of Batavia. From the NYS Thruway (I-90) at Batavia, exit 48, go south on Route 98 into the city of Batavia. At the second light (candy store), make a right turn onto Oak Street, which is Route 33. Continue on Rt. 33 west approximately 0.5 miles to Industrial Blvd. and make a left. Proceed south past the railroad tracks and straight up the hill and through the open gates to the entrance building of the treatment plant (first building on your left). Or, from Rochester, take I-490 W, to Exit 2 (Route 33 west). Follow Route 33 west through Batavia; turn left onto Oak Street (Route 33), stay right at roundabout, continue on Route 33, 0.5 miles to Industrial Blvd., turn left. Continue straight across the railroad tracks and up the hill. Turn left into the parking lot of the offices.
If COVID guidelines allow, we will carpool from the plant offices. Spotting scopes would be very useful.
COVID-19 Policies and Procedures
Due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, the Rochester Birding Association is instituting the following procedures for all field trips. By registering for this field trip, you acknowledge that you have read and will abide by these policies.
- Advance registration through Eventbrite is required in order to attend the trip. NYS guidelines for the allowable number of attendees at an outdoor gathering change frequently. Exact capacity limits will be determined on a trip by trip basis, and they may be subject to change.
- Individuals who did not pre-register will not be allowed to attend the field trip.
- Should you decide not to attend the trip, we encourage you to cancel your reservation to make room for others. Canceling is easily done through the Eventbrite website; see your confirmation email for details.
Health Screening Considerations:
- Full contact information is required at registration, in case contact tracing is requested.
- No one who has a temperature of 100.4F or greater (without having taken any fever-reducing medications) should attend.
- No one who has any COVID-19 symptoms (fever, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, muscle pain, sore throat, or loss of taste or smell) should attend.
- No one who has tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 14 days or who has been instructed to self-isolate or quarantine should attend.
- No one who has been in close (within 6 feet) or proximate (same closed environment, but greater than 6 feet) contact with anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or who has had symptoms of COVID-19 within the past 14 days, should attend.
- No one who has traveled or who lives with someone who has traveled to a country or state on the New York coronavirus travel advisory list in the last 14 days should attend.
- Participants who test positive for the coronavirus within 14 days after attending a field trip are encouraged to contact the RBA.
Social Distancing and Safety Best Practices
- Participants will be required to stay 6 feet apart at all times and wear a mask whenever they are outside of their car.
- Participants that reside in the same household may share binoculars or scopes, but we regret that otherwise optics cannot be shared. We realize this may be frustrating for those who do not have their own spotting scopes. To the extent possible, we will choose birding locations that do not require advanced optics.
- Participants are encouraged to keep hand sanitizer with them in case of accidental contact.
Waive and Release from Liability: By registering for this field trip you acknowledge that you assume all risks and hazards incidental to the activities of the event, including potential exposure to the novel coronavirus. You further release, absolve, hold harmless, defend and indemnify the Rochester Birding Association, Inc. and all individually named organizers, leaders, and participants of the event. In case of injury, you hereby waive all claims against all organizers, leaders, and participants.
Photo/Video Waiver: If you do not consent to have your image used by the RBA in the manner next described, check the appropriate box on the registration form. Otherwise, by registering for this field trip you hereby grant permission to the Rochester Birding Association to take and publish photos or videos of you in connection with the event listed above, with or without your name and for any lawful purpose including for example such purposes as publicity, illustration, advertising, and web content.